Saturday, September 13, 2008

Uncrustables "R" Us

"Frozen? Pre-made? Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? Pshaw!! What a stupid idea! Do you mean to tell me that there are people out there who don't have time to whip out a PB&J for their kid," said Heather, a young mother of four, who hadn't yet experienced the thrill of frozen, pre-made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Ya'll, people change.

Let me 'splain it to you. Smucker's came out with a sealed, crimped, crustless PB&J called Uncrustables, that they sold in the freezer section of your local grocery store--a box of 4 for $2.99 last time I checked.

Well, I've been riding the train to Cheapville for a long time, and I'm not about to get off now. That's why I bought a Krustbuster (www.krustbuster.com). It cost ten bucks at the Utah State Fair and it makes ready to eat, cute little crustless crimped PB&J sammies (that I stuck in the freezer and will pull out each day, right after gasping, "Ahh! I forgot to pack your lunch!")

In a matter of seconds, I can have the kids' lunch packed with a pre-made sandwich that will thaw by lunch, a homemade granola bar (recipe to come!), a bag of baby carrots, and an empty cup to fill with drinking fountain water. Wow! That's a heck of a lot faster than trying to scrounge up the buck thirty-five for a USDA approved school lunch with ca-ca canned fruit and sloppy joes (not again!).

While my version of Smucker's Uncrustables PB&J sandwiches doesn't solve all my problems (why isn't there a buzzer on my washing machine so the clothes don't get forgotten??), it does take care of the lunch dilemma. Phew!

And maybe dinner, too.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I'm so glad you didn't sell out and start buying those pre-packaged little devils. Good for you!