Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Jackson Pollock Pizza Dough


My family eats pizza once a week. And believe me, I'm way too cheap (ahem, thrifty) to buy pizza from a boy who drives a rusted out '87 Subaru. (Although I applaud his mission to "live like no one else")

We just love, love, love eating pizza! And I love making pizza! I think of my pizza dough as a canvas on which, with Jackson Pollock as my internal chef, I paint with wild pesto, smatterings of feta, random tossings of broiled eggplant, and piles of untamed sausage. Sometimes my pizzas look dangerous.

But they're always delicious.

Over the years, I have perfected my pizza recipe by borrowing methods from friends, watching YouTube videos, staring at Jackson Pollock paintings. I've developed a pizza "way of life" that has made my family very, very happy.

Pay attention. I'm only posting this once.

Jackson Pollock Pizza Dough

1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tsp. dry active yeast
1 tsp. salt
4 cups flour (either white or wheat).

When it's mixed well in your KitchenAid, coat the dough mass with a slog of olive oil, cover with plastic wrap and put the bowl in the fridge. The next day or a few days later preheat your oven to 500 degrees. Menopausal women, just crack the fridge.

Next pour a few drizzles of olive oil onto a baking sheet; 3-4 Tbs and then a generous sprinkling of cornmeal. Take half of your dough and lay it in the puddle of oil and shape into a circle (most people don't like square pizza). Do your artsy-fartsy thing with your toppings and live out your dream of becoming a modern artist. Sauce, cheese, toppings. Bake for 15 minutes at 500.

Prep the next pizza. I've never had success with cooking two pizzas at once. They need all that heat to themselves. Bake the second pizza while you're eating your first.

No comments: